Awareness is the first step to solving a problem.
- Nearly two-third of poor households were in the state of 'food insecurity'. They frequently suffered from hunger, simply did not eat enough or could only buy a few types of low-cost food which lead to health problems due to an unbalanced diet.
- Low income families spend over 40% of their income on food.
- Over 1.3 million people live below the poverty line.
- 1 in 4 children live in low-income household and do not get 3 meals a day. 72% of poor children eat leftover foods, while 15% even eat expired foods.
- 1 in 3 elderly live in poverty and struggle to meet their basic nutritional needs.
Sources: Commission on Poverty, Oxfam Hong Kong, Research from Chinese University of Hong Kong