Educate yourself and share these facts with your friends & family.
- 3,337 tons of food waste are disposed of in landfills each day in Hong Kong. This is equivalent to the weight of 7.3 fully-loaded Boeing 747s.
- The remaining capacities of Hong Kong's 3 landfills will be exhausted by 2015, 2016 and 2018 respectively.
- Food waste accounts for 36% of all municipal solid waste in Hong Kong.
- The volume of food waste has doubled in the past 5 years.
- 1/5 of the food waste generated daily is from commercial and industrial sources such as hotels, restaurants, wet markets, food production and processing industries.
- The amount of food waste arising from the commercial and industrial sectors has increased steadily in the recent years - from less than 400 tons per day in 2002 to over 800 tons per day in 2012.
- 920,000 tons of domestic food waste is produced per year.
Source: Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department, Government Statistical Office